Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 27, 2014

I Know Now What I Knew Then -- Last Segment

Part IV

Despite being terrorized by trying to show my literacy skills via worksheets and coloring pages, I did what children who love learning have done since the beginning of time:  I continued reading.

Going to the library was, by far, my favorite "subject" in school.  To this day, there is a certain comfort I find in being surrounded by books... books that are old friends and stacks of new books that are vying for a favored spot on the bookshelf at home, a spot that means a book has found its forever home by virtue of being loved--rather like Kate DiCamillo's "Edward Tulane" in The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, one of my most favorite books of all time.

I have a very specific memory of checking out one particular book repeatedly as a first grader.  I remember the anticipating each trip and dreaming of which book I would borrow.  (Now I know that I was planning my reading, as do all avid readers.)  During each library session, the librarian introduced us to wonderful storybook characters by reading aloud from Winnie The Pooh, Clifford, The Big Red Dog, and George The Friendly Ghost.








While I ventured into these texts, I found myself returning to The Littlest Star:  A Story About Ballet by Sally Jackson.
19309449 Image 1 Littlest Star,Sally Jackson,1961,1st,G+,Ballet,Dick Martin art,Primary dancers


\This lovely, pink book contained a story about a little girl who tagged along to her older sister's ballet class only to find herself in a key role.  The simple, vintage illustrations, laden with pink tutus and children my age, were charming.  The story was a fantasy-come-true for any little girl.  I could (and did) read it over and over again.  As the librarian "blessed the books" that she read to us, my eyes would wander to the bookcases, perusing the shelves from afar, contemplating the possibilities.  I knew precisely where Sally Jackson's book was shelved.  On the days that I planned to check it out, I would covet a listening spot nearest to that exact area of the shelves. (I assumed everyone else coveted "my" book, thus generating a sense of urgency for access!)  I actually cradled this book close to my heart, cherishing it as I would a loved one, relishing the feel of its thick pages and cloth cover.

\I would read (or beg my sisters to read to me) on the bus ride home, as I just couldn't wait to enjoy my books.  If you could fast-forward, frame-by-frame through my school career, you would just see me getting older, reading book after book on the bus... Charlotte's Web, a biography about the Wright Brothers, Sounder, Little House in the Big Woods (followed by all of the books in the series), The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (another one that I read repeatedly), The Velvet RoomFlowers for Algernon, A Tale of Two Cities,  The Great Gatsby, The Odyssey, On the Beach, Nectar in a Sieve, All Quiet on the Western Front, etc., etc., etc. This even held true during my college years, riding the bus to our apartment.  And those who know me now would tell you that they often see me reading during "edge time" at sporting events, etc.
What I know now is that I was developing lifelong reading habits by reading during "edge time" (like those bus rides).  I also had developed my own reading preferences and knew what I liked--while remaining open to suggestions from the librarian and my teachers.  (Interestingly, I don't remember EVER hearing book recommendations from other children until at least sixth grade.)  I know now that all of this reading even helped me to become an excellent speller which fed my love of writing--building automaticity in spelling supported my writing fluency.  Struggling writers are often struggling spellers, and may times this goes back to needing more time with "eyes on text."  Yes, reading.

Later in first grade, I started earning a small weekly allowance and often saving it to buy books (mostly those published by "Elf" and "Whitman") at the local "five and dime" or toy aisle in the grocery store.  I remember purchasing a copy of Sleeping Beauty and learning about sales tax (and, of course, finding it "covered" by my mom or dad).  I read it repeatedly over the weekend, building fluency and expression.  I took it to school the following Monday, and my teacher asked if I wanted to read it to the class!  Of course, I consented.  This was so good for my confidence--as I mentioned before, I was a shy kid.  In 2014, that would still be an amazing thing (a first grader reading to a book like this to the class).  That was the highlight of the year for me... that, and listening to the teacher's read-alouds and books at the listening station.  This led to the beginnings of my own bookshelf at home, housing such "Whitman" favorite as Buffy and the New Girl (based on the TV series, "A Family Affair"), Mr. Schnitzel's Cookies, Twas the Night Before Christmas, and many more.

Vintage Golden Book - SLEEPING BEAUTY - 1986 - Disney

That same year, my family attended a fun open house at my dad's factory.  They had gifts for the children; being a lucky kid, I received a few books that came 45 RPM records (an early form of books on tape).  I took "The Three Pigs" to school, and my teacher used it for a listening station.  I felt like a movie star.  (Now I know that this added to my motivation as a reader, as I practiced reading that book again and again. Trying to keep up with the voice and mimic the expression on the recording added to my fluency and sight vocabulary.  Receiving my teacher's "blessing" by using her decision to use it in the classroom only added fuel to my fire.)

PETER PAN RECORDS 45 RPM Record THREE LITTLE PIGS 4005-A

Now I know that I had all of the markings of an avid reader.

\By second grade, I remember being in the "bluebird" group for reading--aka, the highest group level in the days of old-fashioned reading groups.  I particularly loved our basal reader (remember, I had an affinity to those when I was little) called Splendid Journey.  I had never heard the word, "splendid" and can still recall details of the teacher's vocabulary lesson about it.  I was a lucky kid to have a book filled with readable stories.  Now I know that this book was motivating to me, as it was written at my level.  AND my reading group was socially enjoyable to me, as it felt friendly and safe.  It brought back the warmth of feeling that I had enjoyed as a young child when learning to read at home.  We had our own little reading community in that group.  Now I know that this is an important way to support readers.
Vintage Reader Book Splendid Journey by Robinson, Monroe, Artley, Huck, Jenkins
Eventually, this led to "accelerated" groups for reading and math--most likely based on the IOWA Test of Basic Skills.  But the good news was that I was challenged as a reader (without as many workbook pages) and continued to thrive.  By third grade, I read an entire chapter of Anna Sewell's Black Beauty to my class.  This led to a love of other classics, especially Johanna Spyri's Heidi and Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, both of which I read 2-3 times over several consecutive summers during elementary school.



I knew then that I loved to read, that sometimes I had to comply to get by, and that I could differentiate for myself.  I knew that readers had the power to determine their level of investment and engagement.  I knew who to ask for the support I needed to move forward--and who NOT to ask (sometimes, that's just as important).  I knew that learning should be fun and even social, just like when we played school at home.

Now I know that not every child has the support system that I did--books, feedback and support at home, parents who didn't hassle me about my workbook pages (because they knew I could read), and regular access to a well-stocked school library (and kind librarian).  School made a difference, but the rich experiences I had before I ever walked into elementary school are what made the biggest impact.

Yep, I know now that I was a lucky kid... but I guess I knew it then, too.

3 comments:

  1. What a great history of your reading life!! I laughed when I saw the 45. My 45 story was The Wizard of Oz, I got it through the scholastic book order in second grade. :)) Thank you for sharing your memories and awakening mine!
    www.parentingandpedagogy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was growing up the public library was my best friend. I spend every Saturday searching for new books to read. My favorite books were the Nancy Drew series and the Little House on the Prairie books. I read every single one I could find. For me, too, reading these books made a much deeper impact on me than any "basal" books read in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I had that same 45. My family nurtured reading, too. We had to drive a long way each Saturday to get to the library. We always received books for holidays. When I look back...I realize I, too, was lucky. I loved ready your adventures in your reading growth....especially how you got to read Sleeping Beauty to the class...and that was the high light of the year. I wonder how many teachers were lovers of reading when young? Jackie

    ReplyDelete