Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Where I'm From



In reflecting on recent posts about helping students to feel valued, included, and engaged in a community of readers and writers, I invite you to think about adding “Where I’m From” poems writing instruction, particularly in grades 4 and higher (though I am certain that these could be simplified to work in the primary grades).


There are a multitude of reading and writing activities that I absolutely love (I am blessed with a job that fits me perfectly). One of my all-time favorites is guiding students to write/share “Where I’m From” poems, based on George Ella Lyon’s work. 

Here is a link to George Ella’s page on this topic; you can see her original poem, listen to her read it aloudand scroll down to watch some videos of “Where I’m From” poems that were written by kids who were inspired by George Ella’s poem. 

Using this website is how I introduce the concept of “Where I’m From” poems to children. 
Their reaction is always emotional, laden with giggles, exclamations, and interrupting to 
share their own experiences. This is exactly what you want, as it is motivation to write! 
By the time I actually start the writing portion of the lesson, the students are begging to write!

I have a template that I borrowed from another website (and tweaked a little) to guide the students, but I have learned NOT to just give it to them. Instead, I ask them questions to cause them to generate a list responses, one per line and as many as they can think of as I verbally ask each question (from the template).

I share possibilities from my life while they think, write, and chat about their own. Pacing is important, as you want to provide ample time to respond.  Having students create their lists down the left margin of their notebook pages helps; I tell them that they can skip lines when their minds go blank, then they can use questions from the template (later on) to remind them of what kinds of responses they needed. Because these are written in lists, they can also add details or additional ideas anywhere on the lines to the right of the corresponding section. This way, as they think of more, they know they can easily add their thoughts.

Once the lists have been generated, I share the template, modeling how to fill it in as you draft your poem on a separate piece of paper. 

Eventually, we fill in phrases and work on phrasing, line breaks, and adding explanations where needed (but not too often). As the kids try it, they choose from and organize their listed items as they see fit—as writers, it is their decision. The fun comes in discussing the possibilities and sharing the decisions we have made—best of all, we learn so much about each other's lives.  The students always want to share their responses and poems, as they tend to think aloud and compare.  

 I have seen parents cry when they read their children’s poems, hearing names of loved ones, echoed phrases that are often spoken at home, and recognizing the memories--big and small—that shape the hearts of their young ones.

A teacher with whom I am currently working is having her students create a memory anthology of poetry about their elementary school years (as they will soon head to middle school).  We have tweaked the template to help the students brainstorm ideas about growing up and going to school in a relatively small school (as compared to others in our district).  

I can imagine doing these at different ages on different topics or even for book characters.

Here is the school template:

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The WHERE I'M FROM 
Poetry Template--School Version

_______________ ELEMENTARY


I am from _______ (specific school tool), from _______ (product name/school tool) and _______ (another).


I am from the _______ (school description... adjective, adjective, sensory detail).


I am from the _______ (plant or playground equipment or natural places), the _______ (plant or playground equipment or natural places).


I am from ______ (school tradition) and _______ (school activities), from _______
(name of staff member) and _______ (another staff member) and _______ (school mascot or other special staff member).


I am from the _______ (description of things that happen at school) and _______ (another one).


From _______ (something you were told as a child at school) and _______ (another).


I am from _____________________   (things that teachers say or activities you do—specific and general memories).


I'm from _______ (name of school), _____________ and ________________ (two food items representing school lunches).


From the _______ (specific school story about a specific person at school and detail), the _______ (another detail, and the _______ (another detail about another class member or teacher).


I am from _______ (tell how you got to school) and _________________ (a special friend or two).  

I am from ________________________  (description of where the school is located, school pictures, mementos, treasures you have made or written, and several more lines telling about important school memories and people).


ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment