Total Pageviews

Monday, March 31, 2014

Snapshots of a Readerly Life: Spine Poems


I'm trying my hand at "spine poems."  I also need to work on my photography skills... but I have typed them in case they are hard to read.  :)  Enjoy--and think about this for April:  Poetry Month!



This I believe--
take joy:
the true secret of writing.



Poetry speaks to children
for the good of the earth and sun,
a place for wonder--
seeing the blue between,
pyrotechnics on the page.
Word weavings,
wondrous words!
Don't forget to share!






Old friend from far away
promise me
don't sweat the small stuff...
and it's all small stuff
you can create an exceptional life
     help
              thanks
                          wow





When we were very young
           wonder
last child in the woods
           tiny beautiful things
                                                  wonder struck




....And with a light touch
igniting a passion for reading     
     revisit, reflect, retell     
     talk about understanding     
     lasting impressions
READING POWER



What's after assessment?
Holding on to GOOD IDEAS
in a time of BAD ONES




The death and life of the
great American school system--
What the Dickens?
The tiger rising...
Prey

Puppet Power






Better Answers:

reconsidering read-aloud
the reading workshop
the writing workshop
science workshop

conferring
reading with meaning

Make Way for Literacy!



Reading magic
Shaping literate minds
Teaching with intention
Reading in the wild
Caring hearts and critical minds
Unmistakable impact








3 comments:

  1. So awesome! I loved your artistry in manipulating the titles to build something bigger! :) You and I share a similar library as coaches... I've never tried this but will have to -- so creative! Congratulations on slicing this month! b

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to get kids who dislike poetry to think in another way! Sharing your blog with my first year teacher/daughter in Houston…wonderful wonderful, inspiring things to think about and try….

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to send these to Travis Jonkers at 100 Scope Notes. These are great! I especially love the first and last one. Photographing them are tricky, those skinny paperbacks are tough.

    ReplyDelete