Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Find What You're Looking For: Beauty

Life really is full of beauty.  It's easy to see in the eyes of my children, husband, and dear family and friends who grace my life day in, day out.  I have come to believe that there are no coincidences, at least as far as people and relationships go.  Though everyone is different in how and when they respond to loving, caring actions and words, it seems like this is the only way to live, the only way to work.  If you are consistent in your words and actions, and if they are borne of sincere caring and love, people will notice, appreciate, and often reciprocate--which adds even more beauty to your life because you were just living in the Light, not expecting anything in return.

Literacy coaching has opened my mind as I constantly seek a broader understanding of people's motivations and how to link new learning to what they know, believe, and do well.  When I first assumed this role, one of my favorite songs was Amy Grant's "Find What You're Looking For".

"Find What You're Looking For"

Lyrics:

What would they find if they uncovered all my tracks
Of roads I’d snuck down and darkness and never turn back
Well they’d find what they’re looking for
Secrets and so much more

What would they find if they searched for a heart of gold
They’d find sacrifices of time and money never told
Yeah they’d find what they’re looking for
Kindness and so much more

Cause there’s so much good in the worst of us
So much bad in the best of us
It never makes sense for any of us
To criticize the rest of us

We’ll just find what we’re looking for

We’ll find it and so much more

What would I find if I turned back the time on your face
Could I piece together the memories that have made you this way
I might find what I’m looking for
Understanding and so much more

Haven’t we all learned the best life lessons
By falling and falling down hard
If we’re looking for somebody’s failures
We won’t have to look very far...


****


My favorite is the verse that begins, "What would I find if I turned back the time on your face?"  I think that piecing together the memories that made someone a certain way does give us "understanding and so much more."

This is true in life and has become an essential part of what I carry in my heart and mind as a literacy coach.  I need to understand your teaching memories so that I can understand the beliefs that brought you to this point and then use that understanding--"and so much more"-- to assist you in finding what you're looking for as a teacher.  That is the true beauty of coaching work with teachers.

Indeed, beauty is everywhere, especially in the eyes, hearts, minds, and spirits of teachers.




"Find What You're Looking For"

No comments:

Post a Comment