Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Learning Influences, Part 3

Part 3--Influencing Learning:  Reflecting on Patterns, Themes, or Trends

Using my chart from yesterday's post (see below), Cathy asks for the reader to take this last step:

"Look over your list and reflect on any patterns, themes, or trends you perceive."  

(She uses the rest of the book to discuss learning processes for students and teachers and shares perspectives on learning is influenced.)

PATTERNS, TRENDS, AND THEMES THAT I PERCEIVE FROM MY CHART OF LEARNING INFLUENCES:




PEOPLE--Especially students, colleagues, and educational leaders locally and nationally have been my key influences.  
  • Students definitely influence my learning--they are my chief motivator.  They never let me off easy.  Even when I have the best-laid plans, someone will say or do something that causes me to think, pause, and alter the plan.   Experience in having a repertoire of how to respond to varied needs is what keeps me sane.
  • Colleagues who reflect with me influence my learning.  Their stories, coupled with my own, about teaching and learning help me to seek answers to our questions and wonderings.  This is an ongoing process, and I realize that every time the bell rings and a new day begins, there will be more questions that demand our thought and response.  Those who work with me now as a coach, talk as a friend, and who try new initiatives cause me to be thoughtful in my work each and every day.
  • Other professionals, such as principals, curriculum directors, and coaches.  These leaders were there to provide vision, skills, and resources needed to generate action in realizing our goals and dreams.
  • Educators who write.  As I've mentioned, Regie Routman's book, INVITATIONS, was my first glimpse into professional reading as an educator.  That book opened the floodgates for me, right around the time that my favorite publishers, Heinemann and Stenhouse, really started an evolution of thought by publishing so many of the greats.
  • Professional Organizations and Teams.  Our local reading council and my district's membership in the All Write!!! consortium have had major influences on my professional development.
It's interesting how these things are exactly what I mentioned when talking about being a professional and taking responsibility for our own learnership (see earlier post).  That's just a reflection/observation.


What are the patterns, trends, and themes that you perceive from looking over your own influences?

No comments:

Post a Comment