Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Slice #20: Where Do I Find Poetry

Where Do I Find Poetry?
by Georgia Heard

I open my eyes and what do I see?
Poetry, poetry! All around me!

In ants trailing over the ground,
bulldozing earth into cave and mound.

In miniscule grains of ocean sand,
that I cradle in the palm of my hand.

In a lullaby of spring rain,
tap-tapping softly on my window pane.

In trees dancing on a windy day,
when sky is wrinkled and elephant gray.

Poetry, poetry! Can be found
in, out and all around.

But take a look inside your heart,
thats where a poem truly likes to start. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
In a couple of the schools in which I work, teachers are talking about creating a culture of books.  They are considering, "Which books do we want to be sure all of our students have heard as read-alouds over the course of their K-5 education?"  This has created dialogue that is both thought-provoking and enlightening.

This conversation made me think about which professional books I wish all teachers could read, enjoy, and discuss... books I would be willing to read-aloud (if there were time) to all teachers!

Who are the authors or books that speak to you?  If you are a teacher, do you have favorites who write books on the topic of teaching?  Lord knows, I do!  (If you know me, you are probably laughing and nodding right now.)  

If you only had room for 15 books professional books, who would grace your shelves?

At this moment, I would have to say that these would be among my all-time favorites... but I also find that these sometimes vary depending the grade level, topic/subject area, and students that I'm teaching.  But still, there are the constant go-tos and stand-bys:

1.  Georgia Heard:  AWAKENING THE HEART
2.  Lucy Calkins:  THE ART OF TEACHING WRITING
3.  Lucy Calkins:  THE ART OF TEACHING READING
4.  Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell:  GENRE STUDY
5.  Kelly Gallagher:  DEEPER READING
6.  Stephanie Harvey and Ann Goudvis:  STRATEGIES THAT WORK
7.  Ruth Ayres and Stacy Shubitz:  DAY BY DAY
8.  Tony Stead:  REALITY CHECKS
9.  Nancy Atwell:  LESSONS THAT CHANGE WRITERS
10.  Gretchen Owocki:  THE COMMON CORE LESSON BOOK
11.  Shelley Harwayne:  LIFETIME GUARANTEES
12.  Regie Routman:  CONVERSATIONS
13.  Debbie Miller:  READING WITH MEANING
14.  Fountas and Pinnell:  GUIDING READERS AND WRITERS
15.  Katie Wood Ray:  WONDROUS WORDS

...and, true to form, I would like to add...oh, about 100 more, just to be sure.  So forgive my gracious tip of the hat to the deserving and much-beloved:  Carl Anderson, Jeff Anderson, Terry Thompson, Janet Angelillo, Carol Avery, Bobbi Fisher, Jim Burke, Katherine Bomer, Ralph Fletcher and JoAnn Portalupi, Linda Hoyt, Frank Serafini, Ellin Keene, Donald Graves, Penny Kittle, Katherine Bomer, Janet Allen, Sara Holbrook, Paul Janeczko, Michael Ford, Michael Opitz, Lori Oczkus, Tanny McGregor,  Cathy Toll, Jennifer Allen, Rick Wormeli, Carol Ann Tomlinson, Kathy Ganske, Martha Horne, Thomas Newkirk, Debbie Diller, Stephanie Parsons, Mary Lee Hahn, Jeff Wilhelm, Richard Allington, Linda Dorn, Tim Rasinski, Louise Rosenblatt, Zoe Ryder-White, Laura Robb, Amy Buckner, Franki Sibberson, Lester Laminack, Sharon Taberski, Cris Tovani, Harvey Daniels... and so many more who have guided and shaped my thinking... and so many more to come!

That said...

I must add a few that are specific to content areas but I love, love, love them:

1.  Ellen Doris:  DOING WHAT SCIENTISTS DO
2.  Georgia Heard:  A PLACE FOR WONDER
3.  Wendy Saul and Jeanne Reardon:  SCIENCE WORKSHOP
4.  Lori Fulton and Brian Campbell:  SCIENCE NOTEBOOKS
5.  Joni Chancer and Gina Rester-Zodros:  MOON JOURNALS
6.  Brad Buhrow and Anne Upczak Garcia:  LADYBUGS, TORNADOES, AND SWIRLING GALAXIES

I opened with Georgia Heard's poem, "Where Do I Find Poetry?"  I find poetry in the words of my favorite authors, Georgia, of course, among them.

Here is my version of this poem, written on the topic of professional literacy:

WHERE DO I FIND POETRY?

I open my eyes and what do I see?
Poetry!  Poetry!
Professional books, all around me!

In Lucy's eloquent, common-sense plans
teaching reading and writing make a stand
for best practice rests right in our hands.

In Georgia's sweet voice, a soft mellow beckon
calling to slow down each lesson giving
children's thoughts a chance to question.

Stephanie, Ann, and Tony appeal
children welcome nonfiction with zeal
through it a new world is revealed.

An author's shoulders to stand on
Reminds Katie Wood Ray
can lift our writing on an ordinary day.


Poetry, poetry! Can be found
in, out and all around
in authors' thoughts,
novice or  renowned.

But take a look inside your heart,
its own unique work of art,
thats where a poem truly likes to start.


What are your favorite professional books and/or who are your favorite authors for teachers?  Please comment.  :)  Thank you!





2 comments:

  1. If you are able to read my latest post, you'll know Ralph Fletcher is one of my favorite resources!

    Love your rendition of the poem, and my fave lines are the last 3. Take a look inside your heart it's own unique work...likes to start!
    Thanks for sharing a great resource list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Place for Wonder is simply wonderful! I read it online in one sitting. Georgia Heard never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete