Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Slice of Life #17: Willpower = Willing


Slice of Life, #17:  Willpower = Willing

Just this morning, I was reading an essay by Brenda Power and Heather Rader from Choice Literacy:  “Temptation and Willpower”.

They quoted Kelly McGonigal, “…when the brain perceives the body approaching something, it starts to recalculate the value of that object or experience.”

This made me think, “Does it take willpower to work with the literacy coach?" 

And...

"How can I overcome obstacles in my job?"

As a literacy coach, how can I help the teachers’ brains to “recalculate” the value of the experience of working with a coach—whether it’s the literacy coach or a peer coach?

If deep down, the teacher seeks to create change in her instruction and knows that the odds of sustaining it are much better (80% better) with a coach than without, would her brain perceive coaching as valuable?  What motivates a person to work with a coach—or not

As teachers, I wonder if there is credence given to an old adage about research, “If we cannot measure it, it does not exist.”  Considering modern political views on education, I think teachers would say that many of the most important things about being an educated citizen—and an educator—truly cannot be measured… certainly not by today’s standards. I’m speaking of qualities that we all strive to develop:  love of learning, caring, compassion, courage, kindness, confidence, effort, responsibility, perseverance, teamwork, taking initiative, etc.  I know every teacher values these but feels like they are almost inconsequential in our data-driven World-Gone-Mad.  Consider this:  no school gets a “D” or “F” in its state ranking system because its students were not kind or courageous. 

While that does not stop us from teaching these “mega skills” to our students or embedding them in our work, somehow it does seem to de-value character in education—and then, ultimately, in our citizens. So if our beliefs align with our instruction (regardless of measurement), is this also true of our beliefs about professional development?  If it really matters to us, will we find a way to do it?

Perhaps teachers feel so vulnerable that taking (what they perceive as) one more risk is just too much to ask.  Perhaps they see change as too time-consuming or emotionally draining… or just plain dangerous in a world where teachers feel like they are expected to be perfect all of the time or risk being evaluated as “needing improvement” or “ineffective.” 


Power and Rader’s essay focuses on motivating students to recalculate the value of a unit of study by doing fun, easy-to-access, hands-on activities.  These create joy and immediate gratification, thus linking pleasure to the experience and staving off resistance.  We know that different things motivate learners:  do-able work that is challenging but not completely out-of-reach and that links to what we already know, timely feedback, socialization, meaningful/authentic projects, and interests of the learner.  Coaching innately meets all of these criteria.  Still, there are resistors. 

Could part of resistance be created by the fear of being vulnerable and how our society views vulnerability as negative?  Is vulnerability a “bad thing?” 

Dr. Brene Brown (author of DARING GREATLY) describes asking people about love only to hear responses focused on heartbreak; asking about belonging, only to be told about “their most excruciating experiences of being excluded;” and when asking about connection, their stories were about disconnections. In a conversation with her therapist, this was her response to the question,

"What makes you feel vulnerable?"

She replied, "When I'm in fear.  When I'm anxious and unsure about how things are going to go, or if I'm having a difficult conversation, or if I'm trying something new that makes me feel uncomfortable or opens me up to criticism or judgment." 


Ah-ha.  This describes what I ask people to do every day in a coaching situation.  But as a coach, I have two choices:  I can be vulnerable—authentically myself, REAL, exposed as a human, thoughtful teacher—or I can pretend that I am perfect and above vulnerability, above making mistakes.  I have never aspired to the latter, but I keenly know the fear of working with someone who might criticize my efforts… someone who might even take pleasure in discovering that the coach is less than perfect.  (That leaders are or should be perfect is a common misconception.)  But I hope that I am teaching them that who they are is "enough."  That we work from there to reflect and improve on our imperfections--together.  Working wholeheartedly from a place of worthiness, as described by Dr. Brown.

Dr. Brown says that there are things that unravel our connections.   The biggest one she defines is “shame” which makes us wonder or fear, “Is there something about me—that if other people know it or see it—that I won’t be worthy of connection?”   I have often heard teachers lament similar thoughts when asked if their peers could observe their classrooms.  They are fearful that their connections will be unraveled if somehow they don't "measure up" as "good enough."  They feel vulnerable in really "being seen."

Dr. Brown teaches that when we have a strong sense of love and belonging, we believe we are worthy of connections, of being seen.  If feeling connected to others helps to give purpose and meaning to our lives, then coaching should be intrinsically motivating. 

This might explain the phenomenon of how people who are among the“most confident” teachers are often the first ones who want to work with a coach.  They know they “belong” and feel confident in “being seen.  They possess the courage to be imperfect, the compassion to be kind to themselves (and, consequently, to me); and they have a whole-hearted sense of self and connectedness.  They recognize that being vulnerable is necessary to growth.  This “whole-heartedness” creates a willingness to take risks, knowing uncertainty is worth surviving for the sake of making progress.  Dr. Brene Brown says that this is simply how the whole-hearted live

I want to be a wholehearted coach, which means that I am willing to survive risk-taking in order to make progress with my clients.  In order to do this, I need to be confident in “being seen,” which requires courage in being imperfect.  I have to be kind to myself so that I can be kind to others.  I have to know who I am and believe that as a coach and caring human being, I have something to offer that is worthy to all teachers--because they are worthy.


The connections formed through being vulnerable as a coach is something that makes my job possible and is, perhaps, one of the most important things that I can model for teachers.  Be willing to take calculated risks for creating a more dynamic lesson or learning/teaching experience. The coach works beside teachers, not wanting or needing to judge—or to be judged.  We believe in our work, expect imperfection, and work through it with obvious, whole-hearted commitment. 


As Dr. Brown says, “Vulnerability is the birthplace of joy, creativity, belonging, of love…”  This helps me remember that feeling vulnerable is okay…and that kindness and gentleness will help our teachers practice their craft with gratitude and joy… then maybe, just maybe, our precious teachers will feel like they are “enough” AND worthy of teaching whole-heartedly.   

****
















10 comments:

  1. Keep reaching out...you never truly know your impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya, so true--another immeasurable in the world of data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely piece! I love the quote by Kelly McGonigal. You have provided lots of food for thought regarding our feelings of vulnerability as teachers. I love your words, " I hope that I am teaching them that who they are is "enough" " - what an incredible message for colleagues to receive. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, I think we are living in a culture where many of us feel like we somehow don't measure up to someone else's expectations. Most every teacher I know is works long hours out of sheer dedication to the job they were born to do. They care, they work hard, and they're genuinely respectful of all of our stakeholders. That is "enough." While everyone can always improve, we also need to be kind to ourselves (and each other) and accept that our daily choices are solid and professional. That has to be enough as we learn and grow together.

      Delete
  4. You never know your impact until you're gone and then people say things...like, I miss being in touch with you as a coach-I learned a lot from working with you...and the like. Coaching doesn't work when it's forced upon the wrong people. Thank you for all of this knowledge you are sharing. I also love Choice Literacy. It is one of my favorite resources to share with teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely thing to be missed, and I do hear that from people occasionally. Even better--I miss them, too. My caring is genuine, and missing them only serves to prove that. No one is really forced to work with me. The closest that comes is when I facilitate book studies during 5 or 6 of our embedded collaboration times over the school year. (There are 36 collaborations, so that's a relatively low percentage of "forced" meetings.) Even then, I design the collaborative activities to support the staff and their conversations about teaching--never to "bust" someone for being behind on their reading. When they need to refer to their texts, I even cite pages. This saves time, gets those who haven't to open their texts, and provides a "safe" environment for doing so.

      Delete
  5. I have enjoyed reading your reflections about literacy coaching. They are helping me prepare myself for working with our new literacy coach next year. I've been sharing your posts with her as well. It's going to be a big change for all of us in a building that is already stressed with the threat of failure. I hope we can trust in our relationships with each other to keep working to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and please keep in touch long after this month ends! I'd love to hear how things go.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes the resistance comes from a teacher wanting to adjust, change and grow as an educator, with the help of a coach, but maintaining a sense of ownership. So often, coaches seem to say - say what I do, do what I do, and I think that creates resistance. You seem to be open to this process, which is rather unusual,I've found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, what's tough is that sometimes teachers want to feel like they have the magic key to best practice. The truth is, it just doesn't exist--we can try the strategies, but HOW we choose to apply them is beautifully unique and personal.

      This year I have started facilitating Short-Term Instructional Learning and Coaching Cycles. Like all of my work, teachers' participation is voluntary. These are essentially composed of an introduction to a unit or an educational theory along with some ideas for application. Teachers then go off to their classrooms for a few weeks to try out the strategy--with my support, if they wish. The cycle concludes with our getting together one more time, but this time the teachers share their planning, implementation, and reflections with each other (and with me). It gives us a chance to coach each other and to extend one another's thinking. IT HAS BEEN WONDERFUL--so much so that these have been among my favorite coaching experiences (and that speaks volumes).

      The best thing (I think) is that the teachers are seeing that there are many ways to implement similar ideas and best practices. The one comment that has resounded across topics and grade levels is, "Wow. I didn't realize there were so many ways to think about this." It's opening the window to acceptance of each other, respecting differences, and beginning to "coach" each other's thinking.

      Delete