Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Slice of Life #26: Considering Core Programs


Slice of Life #26:  The Basal…ah-hem… Core Program


We are preparing to adopt a new basal reading series, now called a “core program.”  Several teachers have asked me my opinion regarding which series I prefer.

Though I am truly their colleague, I have no say in this matter.  (Since I am not a classroom teacher, per se, I do not vote for a program.)  So I refrain from giving my opinion… besides, I am not sure I really have one.

Instead, I ask our teachers to consider some things as they cast their votes into the hazy time of having 1/3 of our staff teaching the CCSS and most still using Indiana’s Academic Standards along with Indiana’s Assessment Guidance documents and our curriculum guides that also help support the transition to the CCSS.

It is hard to know what is done and done well when we have not yet fully experienced the CCSS nor its assessments, as all of the programs are supposed to be CCSS-aligned.

However, here are some questions that seem logical in guiding our thinking (and votes):



1.     How well does the program balance literary and informational texts?
2.     Does the series provide enough quality texts that you won’t feel constantly pressed to “dig” for more resources?
3.     Are the materials conducive for differentiating instruction, particularly for your student population?
4.     How well does the program assist with teaching the CCSS? 
5.     Does this program provide materials to help you monitor students’ progress/growth?
6.     Is the program student-friendly?  Will the students enjoy the texts?  Does it help students love reading?
7.     Will teachers feel like they have options in their approach to teaching this?  (Does it treat the teacher as a thoughtful professional or is it too scripted in an attempt to make it “teacher proof?”)
8.     What kinds of online supports or apps are available?  How well do they work?  Will they enhance instruction?  Do they assist the teacher in her work or complicate it?
9.     Do you know which elements of the program are included in a purchase and in what quantity?   In other words, if you believe you are getting leveled texts, are there enough for small groups? 
10.  How easy are the CDs to use?  (One teacher mentioned that her series doesn’t tell you which selection number for any of the stories on the audio CDs.)
11.     What kinds of support materials are provided?  Do you think they    are useful?
12.   Are materials accessible online for ease of planning, referencing, or even for students to use at home when needed?

Remember, Indiana’s Reading Framework says that we have to adopt a core program and use it “with fidelity.”  To me, that means we must be more thoughtful than ever with what we are voting for—our votes represent our willingness to use the program for a long time to come. 

What would you add to this list?  

11 comments:

  1. These seem like good questions to ask. I'm the rebel in our building who rarely uses the textbook. I use what Teri Lesene calls "upProgram" or a workshop model. I think a core program or textbook is at best a tool that a teacher can use, so my questions would center on how useful is the tool for teachers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing can (or should) replace a reflective, responsive teacher who knows how to positively and significantly influence a student's learning. :)

      Delete
  2. I have always taught workshop and the Teacher's College model...I really hate text books. Especially because the bells and whistles cost so much and are then hardly ever used...or very problematic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I agree. Our district was heading toward a reading and writing workshop model until the state intervened, requiring greater use and purchase of basals. Now I think a lot of teachers feel like they are between a rock and a hard place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...we got around this mandate in our language arts and social studies curriculum by just purchasing a class set of text books...nothing else. So our curriculum is workshop augmented by these anthologies. But we were lucky in that we have flexibility.

      Delete
  4. As a first grade teacher I just wish they would give us the money to buy real books! I have been to a few CCSS conferences and the presenters have all said don't buy programs yet even though they say they are CCSS aligned they are not...Funny how the states always think they know best when they don't set food in a classroom. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have experienced this, too. The CCSS folks SAY that HOW we implement is where our professionalism lies but then the state and companies with financial interests demand that we use canned programs...

      Delete
  5. Teaching has become so complicated to me, but then I'm retired and don't go through day to day process. I have a daughter-in-law who is a high school teacher. Her head is spinning. Enjoy your spring breaks because you all need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think stepping away, you probably have clarity. It IS VERY complex, and the demands keep increasing. It seems like governments diminishes trust and professionalism but expects more than ever.

      Delete
  6. Uh, this is a difficult situation. I don't see how the basal can be CCSS aligned...it doesn't seem like its been out long enough to make that sort of call...not to mention the assessments haven't been seen.
    I am so sorry to hear the teachers are being pressed to adopt something that may not be the best model to drive-we still don't know what the highway looks like so how do we know the best transport to get us there...
    However, you have listed thoughtful questions to help reflect on making the best choice possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Amy. We used to get a waiver from the state in order to give us time to make more informed decisions and to find out how other districts fared with various adoptions. The state won't allow it any longer, but they also will be the first to label and punish us if something doesn't bode well, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete