Total Pageviews

Monday, March 18, 2013

Slice of Life #19: To Listen is to Love.


Slice #19:  To Listen is To Love

“To listen is to love.”     --Panache Desai

Here is a found poem based on the post, “I Hear You,” on Panache Desai’s website.  I realized (after writing it) that it connects with and reflects a lot of my thinking on this blog, particularly in Slice of Life Post #9.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


To listen is to love.

Listen
From a space of presence
Give
Your undivided attention
To listen is to give a great gift

To listen is to love.

Words met with spaciousness
Facial expression, body language
           S o f t e n
The Speaker is most important
To listen is to communicate

To listen is to love.

Bringing sacred stillness
To everyday interaction
Nothing more powerful
Or more loving
Than being heard
To listen is to validate.

To listen is to love.

          Not criticizing
                   Not judging
                             Not lecturing
                                      Never invalidated or shamed
          What we say matters
To listen is to suspend need for control

To listen is to love

          Affirming
                   Building trust
                             Facilitating understanding
                                      Lovingly holding space
          Express what needs expressed
To listen is to be present

To listen is to love

                             L o o k          F o c u s         R e l a x

                                        R E C E I V E
                  
                             PAY ATTENTION!     Be present.

          Mirror back and be sincere.
To listen is to seek understanding

To listen is to love

Ask for clarification
Validate
Respond with empathy
Cultivate the practice
of lovingly listening
Listening is connecting with action

To listen is to love.


9 comments:

  1. Great lines. These are all the right reasons to listen well no matter who we are conversing with at any time. Look focus relax and receive speak to me because it reminds that the person speaking to you has knowledge that you are supposed to hear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Desai reminds us to let go of our assumptions or what we expect or think someone is saying--just to open up and try to understand what they are trying to express. Difficult, at times, especially when we think we have a vestment. That's always when I stumble... but I'm getting better!

      Delete
  2. This is a good reminder of how to be there for those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem really resonated with me because listening is not one of my strongest skills. I'm terrible at it. (I think I'll slice about it, thanks!). I'm going to be repeating your line in my head now: To listen is to love. To listen is to love.
    Thanks for the great inspiration this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out Panache Desai's interview with Oprah on her website. So much of what he says will touch your spirit. It's so good for my soul, my life... just sharing.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful words to read, take to heart and live by. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Panache Desai. He has a lot of great thinking that resonates with me... I don't meditate or any of that stuff--not there yet, if ever. But I do love thinking about how our spirit impacts our decisions--if we let it.

      Delete
  5. Your repeating line creates an intensity to be aware and present. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete